Setting Off From Sandwell valley

Saturday 18 December 2010

Sandy, a Garganey and Snow

What a totally unbelievable day!

Twelve Rspb cyclists cycled with me to Sandy. Fabulous people - Richard, Mark, Chris, Matt, Charlie, Fiona, Paul, Finn, Olly, Ralph and Harry.

Unbelievably I had a front tyre puncture 30 yards before Sandy's entrance. Took a long time to fix as the tyre had contracted because of the cold. Thanks Grahame and Mark. Also many thanks to the people who were there to greet me at the gateway, especially Laura who despite being very I'll with flu had come in to welcome me. Thanks everyone.

Great to be shown around the reserve by the site manager, Peter. A lovely, intersting man, Peter had a beautiful neolithic flint tool to show me, found at Sandy.

Bike eventually fixed, video interview completed and final phots taken. Time to see a new bird for the year, a nearby male garganey. Bird seen well through Mark's scope. Bird 250!!!

Goodbye to Mark and the start of what I had hoped to be a long cycle back home to Warwick. No chance! Very heavy snow started to fall - unbelievably the worst weather of the year saved for my last reserve day.

Now in Bedford from where I hope I'll be able to walk home from tomorrow. Nothing is easy that's worth doing.

So 50 miles to walk and push the bike. Great!

All the best everyone,

Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment