Setting Off From Sandwell valley

Tuesday 9 March 2010

Tuesday 9th March Redruth.

Well I've got a problem. My lower back is causing what one might call - jip! A night in the tent at Godrevy Head and I fell asleep watching the stars. Awoke cold and stiff and I thought that it would ease up but at the moment it hasn't. Oh well, I've got to March without any health problems so this will only add to the experience. rather be without it though.


Day - Monday was spent at Marazion and Hayle. A bittern was seen flying around over the reeds at the east end of the reserve. The east wind wasn't quite as strong as yesterday but strong enough to slow me down. Can't have it both ways; the weather is dry and very sunny.
Hayle was the place of my happiest family holidays when a child and I found what I thought was the house/chalet that we stayed in at Hayle Towans. Down onto the beach and found the caves I remember so well and the beach as large as ever.

Sunset over St Ives was beautiful but the total lack of cloud meant that it wasn't the spectacular I'd hoped for. Jupiter could then be seen just above the horizon. The lack of cloud and being sheltered from that keen east wind meant that there was a frost when I woke up in the morning. Packed and down to Gwithian nature reserve where I'd failed to see wheatear the night before and also failed to meet Ashley [sorry]. Found 2 cracking male wheatear this morning though. 151 on the year list.

Cycling has been very painful but made it to Portreath. Had a very close encounter with a stooping male peregrine whilst going along the coast road near the the National Trust's North Cliffs.

Now time to get going. The aim is to get as far as I can along the North Cornwall coast.

If anyone can offer any accommodation along my way to Bideford in the next few days then please phone 07988754090. Thanks.

Thanks to those who have made donations. Please do so on my website http://www.bikingbirder.co.uk/  where justgiving links direct you to your chosen charity.


All the very best everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you got a Wheatear in the end!
    Good luck with the rest of the trip

    ReplyDelete