Setting Off From Sandwell valley

Tuesday 19 October 2010

Vane Farm RSPB reserve.

What a great reception from everyone at Vane Farm. Thanks for it. Much appreciated.

What a great reserve too. Brilliant facilities with a cafe overlooking the Loch, a lovely pond dipping area with classroom sized hide and a combination of habitats that gave me 50 bird species in the morning. What with the arrival of a few thousand pink-footed geese, a good number of whoopers and a female hen harrier amongst the commoner birds, it was a great visit.

The early morning up gave views of the leaving pink feet from the hides and then I walked to the top of the hills behind the excellent visitor's centre. The view atop was wonderful; Bass Rock on view as well as Largo Bay and a few smaller islands. To the north a line of autumn coloured hills looked resplendent in the early sunshine. A very close by roe deer stood uncertain whether to depart but did so just as the camera focussed.

The staff at Vane Farm are of the usual standard for the RSPB i.e. the best!!! So what better place could their be for a relaxed day's birding? Great birds, superb views, great cafe with superb, friendly people to meet.



Was thrilled when a local cyclist [I hope I'm right when I say Linda] came in to say that she's come to the reserve to meet me. I was honoured.

An afternoon ride down to Largo Bay unencumbered by panniers didn't give any views of the scoter species I'd wanted but the 30 miles covered were actually fun.

Leaving was fun too. The ladies came out to push me off 'Conga' style! Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment