Setting Off From Sandwell valley

Tuesday 8 June 2010

Now Nearing Rathlin Island

But first there's the Giant's causeway to see.

Well the radio BBC Ulster interview was great fun and may I say many many thanks to John Toal and Helen for coming out to Ennislikken to meet me there. One outcome from the interview is that a wonderful and extremely interesting couple have invited me to stay at their house for the night. Indeed I am at Paul and Majic's house at the moment on a day of continuous rain. They are a great couple and I can encapsulate their intersts as VWs [Paul went to Bonneville to race a Beetle over the salt beds of Utah], elephants, Hobbs the cat and eco living.

Right, after the radio interview and after watching Killen beat Enniskillen at football 2-1, I camped on the shore of Lower Lough Erne about 5 miles NW of the town. A very calm, peaceful sleep eventually broken by calling great-crested grebes on the water.

Cycled to Lower Lough Erne RSPB reserve, well one of the reserve areas anyway as they have 38 islands etc of responsibility around the Lough. The RSPB noticeboard was found next to a boarding quay, not near the car park. Spent a hot day exploring the reserve but didn't see many birds. A day flying medium sized bat was unusual.

Met 2 men who asked what I was up to and the older of the 2 said 'don't you recognise him', pointing to his companion? Being Eglish I must admit that I didn't but he turned out to be a BBC presenter and producer and my search on google showed that he's also an author. Who was it ---- Darryl Grimason. He and his companion were going fly fishing for the afternoon and I appreciated the interest they showed in my trip.

Onto the island of Lusty Beg via a small car ferry manned by Cyril and a meeting with 2 lovely families each with brilliant children. RSPB badges given out and damselflies shown. Thought I had a brief glimpse of a spotted flycatcher but I couldn't find it as it flew from a perch into the woods.

Later on in the day reached Drumskinny and a farming family gave me coffee and cake, the coffeee having milk straight from the cow. A look around the milking sheds and conversation before off again to look at the nearby waterfalls, which although pretty, were pretty dry. Then to Drumskinny stone circle and enlignment stones for the night camping.

Midges! How can something so tiny bite so hard? My first experience of them this year but I suppose I'll have to get used to them, especially as I've got a summer in Scotland coming up.

Will add a bit more later.

All the best

Gary

PS have a look at Roz Savages blog - she's asking for possible talking dates in order to get some finance for the next part of her rowing trip - she's planning to row across the Indian Ocean! What an inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. good to see the northern irish are looking after you mate,all the best for your trip to rathlin dont forget to stop at fergus and marys tearoom on rathlin and say hi to them from us.God bless. sid,janet and william

    ReplyDelete